Monday, January 22, 2007

It’s Only Rock and Roll, But I like It!


Well it is that time of year again. Time for our annual three-day pilgrimage to the land of the Texas Rangers, Six Flags, giant malls, too many restaurants, (So much food and so little time!) and loud Christian Rock music. We will be heading out this Friday morning, and I don’t know who is more exited, our youth pastors, our youth group or me!
Now I know that this is supposed to be an event for the “youth” but it is also one of my favorite COG sponsored events. There is something amazing about being in a room with four or five thousand Jesus worshipping teenagers. Every one should experience it at least once in their lifetime. There is also the extra added bonus of getting to hear some of the best Christian bands on the face of the earth.
In my younger, pre-Jesus days I spent a lot of my time attending various other “festivals” in and around the Dallas metroplex. Events like The Texas Jam, The Rock and Roll Superbowl and various other gatherings aimed at reaching that wild eyed, hormonally charged generation called teenagers. In those days I, like most other youths was searching for something to satisfy my wandering lonely soul.
I had the opportunity to see some of the biggest “Rock Gods” of my day. You might say that I worshipped at the altar of such greats as The Boss, ZZTop, AC/DC, Ozzy, Journey, Aerosmith, Rush, Foreigner, Santana…the list goes on and on. (As far as I know the COG did not sponsor any of these events.)
I even tried out some of the Country deities like Merle, Hank jr., Gary Stewart and Alabama. I am ashamed to admit that once I even stooped so low that I actually went and saw Christopher Cross live. (Yeah, I know I was one sick puppy.)
I saw some great “shows” but I never found what I was truly searching for.
For an old headbanger like me this weekend is a chance “rock on” and still retain at least a little bit of pastoral dignity. (Hey, I gotta do it for the kids.) For many teens this weekend will be a chance to find what they are looking for. Please pray for Winterfest.
On second thought, it really is much more than Rock and Roll
and I absolutely………….LOVE IT!

2 comments:

Pastor Jeff said...

Hey, bro, thanks for visiting my little slice of cyberspace. You have a great one here.

Another COG preacher? Praise God. I love Winterfest. When I lived in Michigan, we always helped take about 50-60 teens to Midwest Winterfest in Cincinnati. Went to K-ville once too. Always a great time of blessing for teen and adult alike.

Anyway, I am now a Floridian, enjoying life in Lakeland, where I can still see my Tigers in spring training games.

Good to hear from you, bro.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Good words.