Monday, April 24, 2006

“Man” of God


Last week I was called on to handle an impromptu question and answer session before a very distinguished and important audience. Even though I had received no advance notice I considered the opportunity a great honor and I relished the challenge. The setting was perfect and although the venue was rather dark, the glimmering lights above gave the whole evening sort of a surreal feeling.
The questions were tough and they came in rapid succession. The topics were varied and wide-ranging. We discussed the creation of the universe, the fall of mankind, the infiniteness of eternity, God’s amazing plan to rescue a lost and dying world by sending his son Jesus to die in our place. We talked about God’s love for us, His plan for our lives and the imminence of his return. We talked about heaven and what we will do when we meet there one day.
At times I wondered if I was in over my head as my mind searched for the right words. I struggled to keep my composure as the weight of my task and the importance of the evening became clear. I knew that there might never be another night like this, a night so perfect, a night when I would have the undivided attention of such an important audience.
My heart raced as I felt the presence of Holy Spirit leading and directing my answers as only He can. I knew I was getting through. Lives were being changed! It was an amazing evening, a minister’s dream, a night I will never forget.
That night in my backyard, under the bright lights of heaven, looking into the big brown eyes of my youngest daughter, Hannah, for a few fleeting moments I experienced what it feels like to be a real “man” of God.

No comments: