Wednesday, January 04, 2006

From Joy to Sorrow


I, like so many others awoke this morning to the tragic news concerning the miners in West Virginia. Just last night I had wept tears of joy as I listened to the voice of "Geraldo" describe the joyous scene at the Sago Baptist Church as the families and friends of the trapped miners celebrated the apparent miraculous survival of their loved ones. I can only imagine the devestation they felt when they received the sad truth.
It was just a few years ago that we all sat glued to our televisions watching another story of trapped miners in Pennsylvania. That story ended with the miraculous survival of the miners.
In both instances people came tegether, prayed, and asked God for a miracle. In both instances I prayed and asked God for a miracle. The first time we walked away rejoicing, this time we walk away weeping. The question we always ask in these times is why. I am a pastor. I am supposed to know the answer. I don't.
There are some things that I do know though.
God is good. He can be trusted even when we do not understand it all. This life is short at best so we must "live" while we have life. When you know Jesus even death is a victory!

No comments: